Saturday, July 05, 2008

My life changed yesterday. There wasn't a particular moment, or time. I mean, I can't say that at exactly noon, something happened to me. If anyone has kept up with my writing, you know that I moved to Seattle for one reason, music.

The writing on this site has incorporated everything that has happened to me since I've been here....and I must say, even with the bad parts, or painful times, it has been wonderful.
But for some time now, I have had the feeling of being lost. It's sort of the same way that you feel when you love someone, then they leave...its like..."What now?"

I used to have a struggle within myself....On one side, I was fighting for financial freedom.....wealth, success in that way. On the other side, I have the person that I really am. An artist. I, not once in my existence on this earth, have ever referred to myself as an artist. But yesterday, I said hello to myself as an artist, and my pursuit of musical success.

Not many people ever REALLY feel that they ever understand the reason for their existence.....but I'm telling you, it felt like the creator of the universe was holding me. It is my hope for humanity that everyone, at least once, can somehow feel that.

So, having said that, there are some things that I need to say to some people.....
TO MY PARENTS:
Thank you for raising me the way you did. Through all of the mistakes, you managed to raise a boy who feels free to follow his heart, without becoming addicted to drugs or alcohol. There's about 1% of parents that can say that.

TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you for understanding, and being willing to help me when I needed it. The encouragement means everything to me.

So anyway......I would say that right this second...Coldplay seems to be the biggest band on the planet...I LOVE their new album.....its kind of intimidating though. Whenever a band like that emerges with a great album...I always feel less than.
But not this time. This time, I choose to be challenged. I feel like Chris Martin and company have set the bar, and its up to me to rise above that. Or die trying.

So, with the highest respect to Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, Johnny Buckland, and Will Champion...Dave Matthews and John Mayer....HERE I COME.
And, I think it only fitting to use a line from my favourite song "Lost" off of the new Coldplay album -Viva La Vida

-You might be a big fish in a little pond
Doesn't mean you've won
Cause along may come a bigger one
And you'll be lost



--JB

1 comment:

Spinning Girl said...

Wow. How can I get a little splash of whatever doused you?